WHY SHOULD I PREPARE MY CAR FOR WINTER IN OCTOBER?
As Autumn begins to take center stage, it’s wise to get a jump start on getting your vehicle prepared for the winter weather that’s soon approaching. The team at The Auto Experts wants to keep you safe on the roads in case wintry weather causes dangerous scenarios.
Here are some recommended maintenance suggestions that we advise getting inspected before the winter approaches:
- Check engine performance - Stalling, diminished power, and hard starts could indicate that there are engine problems. Issues could become worse in the colder weather.
- Dirty filter replacement - Checking those air and PCV filters could prevent engine trouble down the line. An engine that is not performing optimally is less efficient and more fuel gets burned.
- Have your battery checked - The only correct way to determine if a battery is weak is with the correct scanners, diagnostic, and tools that an auto repair shop has access to.
- Have the cooling system flushed and refilled - The condition, the level, and the concentration of coolant must be checked regularly. Remember, don’t take off the radiator cap until the engine has cooled off!
- Examine tires - Worn tires do not play well with winter weather. Check for tread, cupping, and wearing. Also, make sure that the tire pressure is good. A rotation is also advised. As a safety precaution, be sure that the spare is in good condition and you have the tools to put it on.
- Have your brakes checked periodically - Having brakes that are working optimally is crucial as inclement winter weather could mean slippery roads and unsafe conditions.
In addition to having these key components looked at to keep you safe on the road, we also recommend keeping an emergency kit in the car should problems arise. Some items to have on you:
- Extra gloves
- A cell phone and extra car charger
- A small shovel
- Tire chains;
- A flashlight with extra batteries;
- Have “high-energy” snacks available
Make an appointment or call us if you have any questions. We are located at 505 30th Street Sacramento, CA 95816.